What Is New Jersey Superior Court’s Special Civil Part? (Understanding Special Civil, Landlord/Tenant and Small Claims Court)

New Jersey Lawyer Now Blog

What Is New Jersey Superior Court’s Special Civil Part? (Understanding Special Civil, Landlord/Tenant and Small Claims Court)

If you are being sued in special civil court or are considering pursuing an action against another party in special civil court, please do not hesitate to call me at 201-598-5019 or email me directly at newjerseylawyernow@gmail.com for a free consultation.

Special Civil is one of three sections of the Superior Court’s Special Civil Part. The other two sections are Landlord/Tenant and Small Claims. Special Civil is limited to cases in which the demand is $15,000 or less. If you believe you are entitled to recover more than $15,000, your case should be filed in the Law Division of the Superior Court. Special Civil is a court in which you may sue someone (the defendant) to collect an amount of money up to $15,000 that you believe is owed to you. [If your claim is $3,000 or less, ($5,000 in the case of a tenant’s security deposit), you may sue in the Small Claims Section.]

If you believe you are entitled to damages greater than $15,000, but still wish to sue in Special Civil, you give up your right to recover damages over $15,000. The additional money cannot be claimed later in a separate lawsuit.

Following is a general list of claims that may be filed in Special Civil:

  • Breach of a written or oral contract.
  • Return of money used as a down payment.
  • Property damage caused by a motor vehicle accident.
  • Damage to or loss of property.
  • Consumer complaints for defective merchandise or faulty workmanship.
  • Payment for work performed.
  • Claims based on bad checks.
  • Return of a tenant’s security deposit.
  • Claims arising from professional malpractice (for example, alleged malpractice by a doctor, dentist, or lawyer).

Its also important to remember that a plaintiff or defendant that is a corporation must be represented by an attorney when the claim is greater than $3,000.

If you are being sued in special civil court or are considering pursuing an action against another party in special civil court, please do not hesitate to call me at 201-598-5019 or email me directly at newjerseylawyernow@gmail.com for a free consultation.

3 Responses

  1. To the attention of Corey I need some legal advice. On Tuesday Duly 12th approx 5:20 in the afternoon I was in my office and was observing my neighbor throwing trash over the fence to the neighbor on the other side of her. This neighbor hood has withsood so much abuse from this women as well as I have withsood it the longest. I am then only neighbor that has lived beside her and has put up with her abuse through all my children the oldest now 27. I belive she moved in 1989 or 90. I moved her 1987 november. Anyway her daughter has been abused and her boyfrind. Whom now has custody of her and has moved away. They had a home together its under forclosue she would not sell out to him. So he moved and she moved back.. She does not work and does not pay her taxes or pay her morgage. She has constant trafic in and out. How is it she pays for electric and cell phone and gas and possibley her vehicle payment and not work. Anyway my problem is she assulted me on 7/12/2011 at 5:30 pm. After watching her throw thing over the fence i went down stairs to get my phone to call my husband so he can call tony the neighbor that was being trashed has many complaint with the police about her throwing trash. As I gra bed the phone I went out on my back porch to talk with my husband and she was pulling in my driveway to turn around why i still cannont understand. She has no reason to use my driveway the way the street and property is set up. I yelled at the to get off my property and she backed up out of driveway and pulled onto my side of street along side of driveway. I still was on the phone with my husband she got out of the car stated she is sick of me and punched my face and the phone went flying outof my hand on my property. I then defended my self. All i remember is her saying stop kicking me so I did.
    Men have been working on the street around us and the one stopped as I flagged him down to see if he saw her asult me he said no but is she on crack i stated i only could imagin. He stated he saw her fled the schene and her eyes were all bugged out as she was the day before he said. Anyway I am scared of this person I belived she is postal. Have a police report have pictures I have no experience in this she is a person whom loves to swue. My neighbor is so upset of the abuse he goes through I think the man is going to have a hertattack. We had to put a between our properties due to her abuse back in 2004 or 2005.
    Could I talk with someone monday. I went to put a restraining order on her but in NJ we cant do that unless we have some relationship what about citizens and their protection. I am disabled due to a parasite and in a lot of pain all the time. She has caused purposful bodily harm and Threatning me and putting me in fear of imminent bodily harm Please helP me rid of this devil.The Police around here are fully aware of her and say criminals have more rights than us. Please call April I want her gone I want her to pay for the fence needed now I need a survailance camera for my protection. 609 463-0751

  2. Angela LaRocca says:

    I am in a state of quandry. I hired an attorney based on a referral from a realtor, whom I thought was a concerned party. Well, I left the problem in his hands, his does not return any of my phone calls, and I have left at least 30 calls, 14 emails, and tried to text him. The one time he called me back, he said for me not to call my tenants attorney, as it would cause problems.
    1. My tenant has been trying to get out of her lease, since she signed it, as she has a daughter and new granddaughter in Florida and wants to move there.
    2. She told me 2 weeks after she moved in on August 29, 2014, that she wasn’t going to stay for the year, and if I could show the house in January or February she would be forever grateful.
    3. She has done nothing but complain every single day about the house, she is to repair anything under $200 and she refuses to. I have fixed everything she has asked for paying for all of it, and now she is claiming CONSTRUCTIVE EVICTION.
    4. She goes from being a sweet person hugging and kissing me to being a crazy woman. She refuses to call me back, ignores my emails and text messages. Yesterday I told her I would be there, as I want to make sure the house is in good shape, and also there is a car in the driveway that is not hers or her daughters. I am now concerned. The car was gone yesterday when I arrived and no one was home. She refused to return any messages.
    5. The attorney I have now stated he spoke to her attorney and they are working everything out, so I don’t get sued. Sued for what, giving her a house that is about 10 years old. We ripped down walls in the house, have Italian tile in the bathroom, have a brand new kitchen, new appliances, new heating and AC. The property is beautiful, she has 2 kitchens, I have no idea why she is pulling this.
    6. She claims that I harassed her, that I wanted her to move out, it was the other way around, and I have 2 witnesses to attest to this.
    7. She has called me a slum lord, she defamed my fiance, and will not have him on the property, in the beginning, she asked if she could steal him from me, that she was in love with him.
    I just wanted to give you some examples of this twisted woman. She has money, just sold a house in Haworth for over $800k, so I know she can pay the rent, and refused to pay for March. She is moving March 26th, as the attorney’s assistant told me the other day. I have had 2 calls from this attorney, and it is more than a month that I am dealing with this. As I stated he never returns my calls, and I am sitting here wondering what to do next, to protect me, as the lease is until August 31, 2015. Thank you.
    My phone number is 201-664-2580, I would appreciate a call ASAP.

Leave a Reply